Ron Bybee Scholarship Award
Wall of Fame
Keaton Ray, PT, DPT, ATC, OCS, CSCS, Cert. MDT
Advance Sports & Spine Therapy - Wilsonville, OR
Brian Greer, PT, DPT, Cert. MDT
Fyzical Therapy & Balance Centers - Southington, CT
Lindsay Carlton, ATC, DPT, Cert. MDT
Maccio Physical Therapy -
Samuel Kelly, PT, DPT
Excel Physical Therapy -
The Ron Bybee Scholarship Award was established to salute Ron Bybee, PT, DPT, OCS, Dip. MDT for his continued commitment to MDT and growing future generations of evidencebased physical therapists. Dr. Bybee was one of the first physical therapists to earn a McKenzie Diploma while studying directly under Robin McKenzie in New Zealand. His remarkable career in the United States included 23 years in the military, 14 years in physical therapy education, and significant research contributions. He pioneered the pathway for MDT education for entry-level physical therapist students before retiring from the teaching faculty at UTEP, Angelo State University, and The McKenzie Institute. He has since returned to the clinic and is currently the Director of Professional Development and Research at Southwest Sport and Spine Center in Las Cruces, NM.
Provide financial assistance for an enthusiastic Physical Therapy professional new to the field who demonstrates commitment to achieve certification in the McKenzie Method® of Mechanical Diagnosis and Therapy® (MDT) and further the advocacy for MDT as a primary clinical assessment and classification system for all musculoskeletal disorders.
Award Amount and Scope:
- $5000 maximum award that may provide:
- Tuition for Parts A-D and Credentialing Exam*
- Coverage of travel expenses to courses, exam or MDT Conference, paid after completion of the event
- Tuition to attend Advanced Extremities or Clinical Skills Update, when eligible
- Tuition to attend an Americas Region MDT Conference or International MDT Conference
- Tuition toward Diploma Program / Fellowship Program
- Purchase of McKenzie textbooks
- Must be utilized within three years from the date of the award.
- Receipts will be required for reimbursement of travel expenses or textbooks.
- Award funds are provided through a grant from The McKenzie Institute USA.
* Note: Candidates who have completed MDT courses previously will be not be refunded tuition for those classes.
- Licensed DPT showing promise and aptitude in MDT
- Less than three years practice in the field
- Active membership in the APTA and MIUSA
Additional favorable considerations -
- Active involvement in research/publication
- Demonstrated volunteer involvement with professional associations (APTA, MIUSA, AAOMPT, etc.) or service in your community.
- Application Form
- CV / Resume
- Personal Essay
- Letter of recommendation from professional colleague(s) who has had direct experience working with, supervising or mentoring candidate:
- Why is this candidate deserving of this award?
- What specific example(s) of his/her interest in MDT has been demonstrated by the candidate?
- Verification of graduation date from an accredited PT School
- Copy of an active PT license in good standing
- Verification of active membership in the APTA
- Deadline for submission: November 30th
- Decision will be rendered by December 15th for commencement in the new year.
Scholarship Selection Committee:
Ron Bybee, Carol Dionne, Kathy Hoyt, Stacey Lyon and Frank Ward
- The Selection Committee will be appointed by the MIUSA Board of Directors for a three-year appointment.
- The Selection Committee will evaluate the applications, score and rank candidates to reach the three top candidates who will be contacted for a phone interview before the final decision is rendered. These three candidates will receive an outline of potential questions that will be asked in advance of the scheduled interview.
- The decision of the committee is final and the reasons for the decision will remain strictly confidential.
- The Selection Committee reserves the right not to award any scholarships in any given year.
- MIUSA Board of Directors will annually review the program at its year-end meeting (Nov).
The McKenzie Institute is an equal opportunity employer and provider of educational programming. We hire those best qualified candidates for employment and admit all qualified students to our training programs and do not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, gender, age, national or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, and disability or health status.
Candidates who are family members of MIUSA Board of Directors or its designated committees including the Scholarship Selection Committee, Teaching Faculty, or staff are not eligible for participation.
Submission of Documentation:
Format of required documentation:
- Application, Letter of Intent, Letter(s) of recommendation, CV/Resume: MSWord or PDF
- Verification of graduation date: Photocopy of Diploma or letter from Registrar (MSWord,PDF)
- Active PT License: Photocopy
Electronic delivery via email is permissible: Marissa DeVaul, firstname.lastname@example.org
Or mail all required documentation to:
Stacey A. Lyon, Executive Director
The McKenzie Institute USA
432 N. Franklin Street, Suite 40
Syracuse, NY 13204-1559